analytics

October 13, 2011

Tofu and how to eat it if you hate it

I have to say it.



I'm not a huge fan of tofu. I think I was overloaded as a kid and it just rubs me the wrong way.

But, tofu is a cheap source of protein, so we're working on it.

(I do LOVE LOVE LOVE Tofuyou's products. Their tofu is firm and delicious, plus their tofu balls, spicy wraps, and lemon honey strips are to die for).

My menu planning this week didn't go as planned. The weather turned beautiful, so my soup plans for yesterday were traded for a more light fare.

We had purchased a couple things of Tofu from Trader Joe's last week (no firmness indicator on the packaging - it is medium, in case you are wondering).

I sliced it into long rectangles and layered it like this:
(from bottom to top)
1) cutting board
2) paper towels
3) tofu (single layer)
4) paper towels
5) HUGE heavy wooden cutting board

I left it like this for about 10 minutes to press most of the liquid out.

Then I chopped it into little squares and put on a baking sheet with parchment paper (bleach free).


This was the first time T has every "helped" me cook. He yelled, "TOFU" every time he put a piece from the cutting board to the baking sheet. Then he would eat a piece (the kid really likes cold raw tofu - yuck).

Into a pre-heated 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes, flipping a couple times, and we had crunchy hot tofu squares!



I tossed them in some peanut sauce, cooked up some frozen thai pot stickers, and sauteed a bunch of swiss chard and we had a happy family dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment