analytics

October 11, 2011

This week's Menu

Our organic cheap food adventure continues and I have to say that I'm highly disappointed in most of the recipes I used last week. After promising myself that I wouldn't use any recipes that weren't in epicuirous (because I get to read REAL people reviews and tips in the reviews section), after many failed or just not so good meals last week, I did it one final time. While the NY times is great for a lot of things, I was highly disappointed with the white bean and kale dish I tried to make yesterday. I saved it by turning it into mexican flavored beans (cumin, garlic powder, salt and canned black beans). We'll eat it all week long for lunch.

We had spontaneous company last night (SO FUN) and we ate the beans atop corn bread along with a roasted butternut squash with lots o butter.

We bought $100 worth of groceries on Sunday. We started at our normal farmer's market, but after buying chard and pasture fed eggs, we quickly realized that our local produce market is half the price for organic, so we left. This made me a little sad because I love going to the farmer's market, but with no budget for homemade waffles with nuttella, or our favorite afghani spreads, it is just no fun. We bought our dairy at trader joe's and headed to the produce market for more $1.89 pears, organic local cheeses, and vegis.

This is our food plan for the week:

Sunday: leftover pizza from our dinner party and salad

Monday: White bean and kale casserole black beans and cornbread with roasted butternut squash

Tuesday: quinoa cakes. Not sure what I'm going to do with them...Burgers? Sauce? Caramelized onions and mushrooms? Any ideas?

Wednesday: Lentil Soup with small frozen baguettes from trader joes (that heat up beautifully in the oven for 4 minutes)

Thursday: garbanzo beans and chard (maybe add tofu)

Friday: butternut squash moroccan

Saturday: Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment