analytics

August 23, 2011

Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese with Hidden Spinach

Both Bubbs and I had night time meetings last week and my mom was going to pick up the babe from daycare and feed him dinner. To make things a bit easier on her, I decided to have dinner ready for her.

I never thought I would say this about my kid - but he's not really into vegis. At least not how I make them. So I've turned into a hidingvegisineverything mom.

On a search for slow cooker mac and cheese (because if there is anything my kid likes, its cheese), so many of them included American cheese or canned cheese soup. We try to eat the least amount of processed food in our house, so my hunt continued. Eventually I came across one that seemed simple and had been tested.

I added some extras to flavor it up: Parmesan cheese (a bunch of it), garlic powder, smoked paprika, and powdered mustard seed.

Then I added some greens to get some health in with all the cheese: I blended a whole bunch of organic spinach (stems and all) with our hand blender into the liquid ingredients, and then poured a ton of frozen organic peas in the crock pot when I added the whole wheat spiral pasta.





It did end up being green mac and cheese (which might be appealing to some kids?) - but it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment