March 12, 2011
Hiding the TV in our expedit
Problem is, we went from a three bedroom to a two bedroom, so the TV is in the living room.
We also lost a lot of built in bookshelves, so ikea expedit came to the rescue.
Mama had to think and think fast.
In our old house we had this piece of fabric framed above our bed that we liked (bought for $10 off craigslist), but I was ready to move on in our new house. It would become our "cover."
Nothing gets done around here unless its naptime and naptime means NO noise (how a musician got a noise sensitive kid, I'll never know). So sewing our project was out.
I sent papa off to the store for two tension rods...and i got cutting.
I cut the fabric in half and started "hemming" using "stitch witchery" an iron on hem thingamajigger.
(and I actually followed the directions! shocker!).
So, I hemmed the sides and created one loop (essentially hemming the top but leaving space so a rod could go through it). Hung it and measured to make sure it would fit correctly, then made the second loop. All without touching the sewing machine. I was expecting to have to sew it up after making sure it worked, but so far a week later and it holds up well.
I re-inserted the rods, stuck them up and VOILA! Magically perfect! (well, we might do some upgrades at some point - but for now the boy and the tv are safe).
Labels: Living Room