I knew when we bought our house that I'd want to re-do the kitchen. The tile, while cute, was NASTY. It was cracked, the grout was creepy, and tile on a countertop just didn't make sense to me. Plus, it was really shallow. The owners had done a crappy, quick, and thoughtless "update" before we moved in and laid sheet linoleum, sprayed the cabinets (in and out - with the contact paper still in and with shitty paint).
When we had the wall of tile removed, a giant two inch gap was left between the wall and the linoleum. That was in 2011. Two years later, I decided to do something about it. We knew that there was a plywood subfloor under the linoleum since we could see this:
I was going CRAZY with the ugly linoleum. I thought painting the floor a cool color might be a great solution...
So one Saturday afternoon when the baby was asleep, I started ripping. And steaming. And ripping.
Only to find...ASPESTOS TILE!!
Ah, what luck. So now we have an aspestos, paper, linoleum tile. The greatest thing was when we ripped up the lino and was steaming the aspestos tile, the smell of 50 year old cigarette smoke and burned food wafted through the entire house - it was dreamy.
Now, my $60 project has just gotten much more expensive. We could have had the aspestos removed for approx $500 (we just had it done at the riverhouse, so I knew approx. pricing) OR we could just put something on top of it so as not to disturb it.
I had ordered some samples from ifloor for the river house and liked an imitation slate vinyl plank. I placed the order and waiting for the shipping confirmation...
Meanwhile, my kids were dropping food - a lot of food on this nasty paper/aspestos floor. The black beans were getting smushed into the paper, broken glasses were getting lost in the layers, etc.
Growing up, my parents removed the carpet in our house looking for hardwood underneath. What they found was full of nails, holes, and paint. But, since they didn't have the money to replace it, we lived with it like that for what seemed like years (though it could have been weeks, really). It was not cute.
Anyway, TWO FRICKEN WEEKS LATER, my flooring arrived.
And, while the children were asleep...this happened.
It took a whole 4 hour period to figure out what we were doing. But on day two during naptime, we finished.
This was our kitchen after our mini remodel two years ago...after running out of money for the floors and table...
Here it is today (well, bad in the dark picture with all the dusty stuff piled next to the sink).
And our stove...
Today! I think it looks particularly awesome next to the chalkboard!
Bubbs cut our table a few weeks ago when I had just had it with the nasty original tabletop. I painted the base last week, but I have to put a coat of voc free poly on it when the kids are out soon. The poster above the bench is getting repaired b/c our ikea frame just fell off the wall and broke the other day.
Bubbs also created this genius pot/pan closet a few years ago and I always meant to paint the shelves and clean it up.
Two years later I finally got around to it :)
We're going to have to finish the trim next weekend, but for now, I'm so happy with the results.