analytics

December 30, 2012

I did it! I made Biscuits!

*Since making this I've made it twice more and updated a few things since originally "published." 

This morning (1/21/13) T woke up and said, "Mama, I want sausage (morningstar patties), egg (scrambled and microwaved for 1 minute), and biscuits." 

I  said, "You mean an english muffin?"

"No, mama, a biscuit - with flour and a bowl." 

So we made them again - and this was our best yet.

Original Post:

My husband is from the south.

His mother makes these yeast rolls that are amazing.  I've tried SEVERAL times to make them and have failed miserably each time.  I've given up at this point.

I kept thinking that making biscuits would be easier.  There's like 4 ingredients, no steps, and all the reviews on all the sites say they are a no brainer.

WRONG.

I've tried Alton Brown's recipes (which rarely fail for me), King Arthur Flour's recipes (they seem like they should be the experts), and countless others.  My husband never criticizes my cooking, but now that he's made fun of my hockey pucks, I know that he actually likes everything I make.

This morning, he's sick and said he was craving bacon (which, um, we never have), but we did have some morningstar sausage patties in the freezer, so I offered to try my hand, once again, at a biscuit, sausage, cheese, and egg breakfast sandwich.

I opened Paula Deen's Food Network page and decided to try once again.  There were only three ingredients and it seemed simple enough.

Problem was, I only had one of the ingredients.

In my normal baking fashion (which is why I fail at baking 99% of the time), I decided to give it a go anyway :)

Long story short, these biscuits were AMAZING - with the sandwiches and with Aunt Pat's Jam (Bubbs' Aunt from Tennessee) and lots of butter.

Untitled

Here's my adapted recipe:

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder (new fresh baking powder, not 4 year old stuff).
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk/cream/half and half
  • 2 tblsp melted butter
Directions:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients until the dough forms a ball. Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with additional flour. Pat the dough down into a rectangle - adding just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands.  Seriously, barely mess with the dough. Gently roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness.  Fold it over and pat down one more time. Cut the dough into squares with a sharp knife (if you don't have a cookie cutter) or use a biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper leaving at least 1-inch between each biscuit. Bake for 8 minutes, or until golden brown.

Melt an additional 2 tblsp butter in microwave.  As soon as they come out of the oven, brush the tops with melted butter.

They were fluffy and delightful.

One possibility was that my baking powder was bad - I used a brand new can here and I think that helped.

Anyway - these are not good for you or hide vegis - but holey moley they were awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment