analytics

December 8, 2009

Starving

So, apparently, when I've felt like I was starving, I actually was! We went to Kaiser yesterday for a quick visit with our new NP (recommended by our midwife team). They always make me pee twice at Kaiser. The first time they stick a long dipstick with about 15 different tests in it. One of the things they test for is Ketones and apparently, there were some in my urine.

This means that I'm not getting enough food so my body is eating the fat I've stored (plenty of it!). The byproduct of this process is ketones. The baby, in it's parasitic relationship with my body, is getting what it needs, but it weakens me and is bad long term for the baby as well.

We were prescribed an anti-nausea medication which scared both Tim and I. For many years there were anti-nausea meds that caused severe deformities and another that caused reproductive problems in the children. But after lots of research and talking with our midwives we've decided to take the plunge and on bad days I'll try the medicine.

We only got 12 pills b/c they are very expensive (our insurance covers them 100%). I read that without insurance they are $25 per pill!

I'm traveling to San Diego this weekend (thurs-sunday) for work, so I'm hoping the pills will make it so I can survive the San Diego Convention Center.

With that bad news though, we then got to go see our muffin! She looks great! She was waving at us (apparently all movement is involuntary at this point b/c it is coming from her spine, not her brain) and measures perfectly. At this point she is about 2.5 inches and the size of a lime!

No comments:

Post a Comment